Goodness, it has been too long since I have posted. Things have been just as crazy this past month, so I hope I can wrap it up in one post!
The renovations have continued at our house and I’m guessing that they will continue on for another 6 weeks. Lots of stuff going on and I’m thankful that we’re not living through it. The good news for the month is that we finally found the right tenant for the cottage. She loves the place and I couldn’t be more thrilled to have her there. And she has no pets – score!
I flew down mid-month over a weekend to do the move-in inspection/key exchange and work on some things at the house. Of course, my list was much longer than I had time for and I got in over my head. I decided to go to IKEA to buy a dresser for the bedroom. I thought that I had enough time to put it together, but it literally fell apart and split in several places. I could have thrown it out the window. I was rushing and trying to get so much done. Stuff was scattered throughout the house and I kept doing circles. I would attempt to work on one thing, only to discover that there was five things in front of it to finish first.
When I got back to DC and settled the next day, I went to find the check that the new tenant gave me. Well wouldn’t you know, I couldn’t find it! I was positive that I didn’t leave the house with it, but after asking the handyman to look around, he couldn’t find it. Hubby was not pleased. I knew that I was going to go down over Memorial Day weekend, so my top priority was to look for it then. I was nervous that I had thrown it away and lost it. Yes, I obsessed over it every day.
We decided that it was best to have me drive down for the holiday weekend with a load of stuff from the apartment. July is just around the corner, and that is when we will need to move to a smaller apartment since we are keeping the house. We are anxious to lock down a new place in the same complex. Unfortunately, the complex is starting a five year remodeling project and raising the rents on all apartments. That was not part of the plan. Sigh….
Memorial Day weekend was upon us and it was time to bring a load of stuff to the house. I decided to pack up all the kitchen stuff that we were moving as well as all the fragile and awkward stuff. I was able to get almost everything that I wanted into the car. I got very lucky with traffic and only had a small delay out of DC. As soon as I arrived at the house, I made a beeline for the kitchen and sunroom to see if the check was stuck somewhere. Sure enough, I had stuck the check in the box of supplies that I had picked up shortly before I was wrapping the day up. Phew!
My two goals for this trip were to get the kitchen and master bedroom set up. I was able to unpack everything, line the shelves, change out the knobs and get organized. While on a ladder to line the top cabinet shelves, I noticed exposed wires for the light above the kitchen sink. How did this ever pass inspection? Gee, I wonder why that light isn’t working.
The next goal was not so easy. I still had the remnants of a broken IKEA dresser in the bedroom. I decided to take a chance and return it. I was in luck. No questions asked! I returned to the store to get two nightstands, an 8 drawer dresser and a 3 drawer dresser to set our tv on. Oh and two vases and sticks for the living room. They look great, of course I forgot to take a picture!
I spent most of Sunday assembling all the IKEA furniture. I started around 12:15pm, took a break for dinner, then finally finished up at 11:30pm. I was happy that I was able to finish but I paid for it the next day. My hand was swollen and my back was sore. I’m glad that it’s done. Here are the results:
It feels great to finally have a room put together! Well, for the most part. There’s still some decorating and organizing to do, possibly a different rug and such. But at least all of our clothes are finally in one place!
I left the day before hubby did (he’s en route as I type this) and I missed the other rental property issues that came up today. One tenant came home last night to an ac unit that’s froze up plus water in one of the bedrooms again. The short version is, is that when we had the gutter installed a few months ago, they didn’t install a long downspout, allowing the water drain away from the house. We also found a couple spots on the fountain that needed to be sealed up.
This isn’t going to work.
At the other rental property, the tenant discovered that the fence is coming apart. We need to get this taken care of asap as they have a dog and no one wants her getting loose.
We are wrapping up May with a bang. Here’s to June being a bit calmer!
Gotta love lawn day!